Another Korean on Big Brother

20032013

Not to make a big deal about the fact that there’s finally another Korean on Big Brother, but I’m going to make a big deal about Helen Kim anyway. Most of you won’t mind considering “most of you” are white people, and you get to watch your fellow white people on Big Brother all the time. So I’m just going to go on about the significance of there finally being another Korean woman in the house after 10 years have passed since I won my season, and this particular Korean Helen happens to be exactly my age and a married mom.

I thanked Robyn Kass for kassting Helen…

KassTweets

…knowing full-well I’m not the reason Helen was cast. I’m not delusional, just dramatic, but I love being able to say “It’s been 10 years since…”

I can’t help but think back to the “kind” of Korean I was 10 years ago, both in life and in the Big Brother house. I was a horrible Korean, actually. There were so many things I disliked about “being Korean” growing up in America, that when I got older I pulled away from my heritage. I remember telling Big Brother producers how I didn’t date Asian men and how my Korean ex had turned me off to Korean men forever, and the like. I look back and I shake my head at how I did nothing consciously to uplift the my Korean community. I was an obnoxious girl who wanted to be more American-Korean than Korean-American. After being raised to assimilate into the American culture, I’d tried to abandon parts of my Korean one.

I didn’t go on the show to be mentor or a shining example of anything, let alone a Korean, because I was deliberately selfish. That summer was all about me because I wanted it to be. I can’t say I regret being so selfish, but…

It wasn’t until I married and had a child that I embraced warmly what “kind” of Korean I’ve become, and the very things I resented 10 years ago I’ve now come to appreciate and instill in my little Noah. I’m not saying I’d wear the Korean flag on my chest or declare some sudden lust for Asian men if I was in the Big Brother house now, but I would be more thoughtful about how I represented a population of people. So although I don’t know what Helen will turn out to be like, once the footage starts rolling, I hope I don’t find her to be a horrible Korean.

No pressure Helen. Just be yourself and look back in 10 years and laugh and reflect.

I’m not defined by how Korean I am, but what kind of Korean I am now…in addition to being everything else.

Posted under: Big Brother, Reality TV Dishes

Tagged as: ,

• Awesome post as always Jun. As a Canadian I feel so blessed that Canada is such a diverse country. Being exposed to so many cultures is probably my favourite part of being Canadian.

I hope Helen makes you proud! But more importantly, you should be proud of your own self reflection. It’s so very big of you.

Loooooove ya Jun!!!!

• Jun Song on June 22, 2013 at 10:48 pm said:

And I’m a huge fan of yours Robert :)

I’m sure Helen will be great…and in a small way I have her to thank for making me really think about this!

• Quite brave of the Chenbot to agree to another Korean lady. I thought you had scarred her for life. Bwahahaha. Nice blog. I like Helen so far too.

• be who you are and loyal to you and your family.dear god if you go all sweet and mushy i’m gonna gag. be my jun song!

• Amazing blog, Jun, as always. Being a minority I get where you’re coming from, though I loved everything about you on BB4 I’m glad you feel you’ve embraced your heritage more now that you’ve got your life figured out. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on all of the houseguests and the season! Hope Noah and Davy are well. :)

• Jun Song on June 23, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

Thanks Dan! Yes. I’ve grown up a lot in 10 years…I feel lucky to have such a big experience to look back on and continue to learn from :)

• Joya (Jds Gramma) on June 22, 2013 at 5:03 am said:

Jun, I have loved watching you “grow up”…Noah has made such a great difference in your life (lives)…I haven’t watched all the BB newbies but I did see Helen Kim and immediately liked her, even before your endorsement. A BB watcher season 1…and in those days my kid (teenager) convinced me to watch…so not saying my age LOL… I am jdsgramma on twitter and love how you entertain me.

• Jun Song on June 23, 2013 at 9:12 am said:

Thank you so much for the love Joya :) Yes, Noah’s been a bundle of luck and love. Let’s hope for a good BB season this summer! :)

• Ben Alexander on June 23, 2013 at 1:01 am said:

What an excellent post, Jun! Very self-reflective and inspiring. Funny how you had no idea in that interview with the producers how closely they were paying attention when you told them about your ex. And while you were on the show, I remember saying, a little sneeringly, “Well, there’s one New Yorker I won’t be having coffee with,” ironic since you and I did have coffee that following winter. I’m writing this note from a Manhattan Starbucks, by the way. Glad things are going well for you, and this is an excellent blog entry.

Ben, aka Infidel In The Temple

• Hey Jun! I love reading your blogs! I would really appreciate it if you could check out my pre-season Power rankings for Big Brother 15 at bb15powerrankings.blogspot.com

• James Marka on June 23, 2013 at 3:07 am said:

Did you see her say that her friend who recently died is the one who got her interested in big brother in the first place and that she wants to win for her? I thought that was cool, she also talked about her husband a lot and what a strong relationship they have. I hope she makes the viewers proud! She also has the burden of being the oldest person on this season if I’m not mistaken.

• Jun Song on June 23, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Yes! Such a sweet yet sad story!

I have really high hopes for Helen. She seems pretty real and just a regular person like the rest of us. No Hollywood aspirations or ulterior motives for being on the show :)

• Madison on June 23, 2013 at 7:14 pm said:

I too have great hopes and empathy for Helen. It is very heartbreaking to hear a great inspiration who formed you to be who you are today pass on such short notice. If Helen is reading this in the future, I hope she made her co-worker proud by participating no matter if she is the first evicted, last evicted, or the breadwinner of the cash,

I’ll be rooting for her to the final 3 road along with to-be-starlet Candice and Spencer (doesn’t he remind you of Chicken George for some reason? lol).

• OkieChris on July 9, 2013 at 4:59 pm said:

Great blog as usual. Out makes me want to learn more about the Korean culture. Do you have a recommendation on how I get the right information?

Tweet it to me or DM :) love you girl. Noah has changed your outlook on life. I’ve seen you soften in the last year.